Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Review of last years toms plus plans for 2010

Last year I grew the following tomato seedlings:

Lemon Boy, Sweet 100, Viva Italia, Better boy, Red Zebra, Early Girl, Pink Brandywine
Bloody Butcher, Tiny Tim, Container Choice, Zhongshu #4, San Marzano

I kept at least one of every plant except for Better boy and Early Girl.

Tiny Tim and Container Choice I grew in 5 gallon SWC (self watering containers). The others I grew in the dirt.

My top three plants from last year were:
3) Viva Italina (roma variant) - prolific and useful
2) Lemon boy - very prolific, early, tasty
1) Red Zebra - prolific, large plant, tasty

I honestly couldn't tell any difference between the taste of the hybrid Viva and the San Marzano OP variety and the Viva was more prolific.

Tiny Tim in the SWC was unbelievably prolific but the taste was very forgettable and most of the fruit just withered on the vine. Same with the taste of Container Choice.

This year I am going to grow Chocolate Cherry instead of Sweet 100 (for myself) I will still make some Sweet 100s for my friends and family.

I will definitely plant my top 3 again. This weekend I am going to look through my seeds and see what else I will try that is new. Mortgage Lifter or Rutgers perhaps (I think that I have both).

If I gave you plants last year which ones worked out the best for you?

1 comment:

  1. “When I was introduced to Mr. Lee Ben ( A Loan Officer), I was entering the market as a first time home buyer.My needs were a bit different and I had loads of questions, before he sent me my pre-approval letter, he called to speak with me about what it meant and what could change. He made himself available to me at pretty much any hour via email and texts, he was very responsive and knowledgeable. He’s also very straightforward, I explained to him what my expectations were in terms of closing time and other particulars. He said he would meet those expectations but he surpassed them. I closed so quickly my realtor and the seller of course were excited about that. But as a buyer I appreciated being walked through the process in a succinct yet thorough fashion. From pre-approval to closing- the journey was so seamless and I consider myself lucky because I’ve heard horror stories about the internet . I recommend A loan officer ben lee contact email: 247officedept@gmail.com & Whatsapp Number :+1-989-394-3740 to anyone looking for a loan in any market. Everything was handled electronically expediently and securely.

    ReplyDelete